CenturyLink, AT&T, Verizon, Spectrum Enterprise, Comcast and Windstream Top the List
In case you missed it, Vertical Systems Group recently announced that six companies achieved a position on the 2018 U.S. Carrier Ethernet LEADERBOARD as follows: CenturyLink, AT&T, Verizon, Spectrum Enterprise, Comcast and Windstream.
Vertical System Group maintains that to qualify for a rank on this LEADERBOARD, network providers must have four percent (4%) or more of the U.S. Ethernet services market, and that shares are measured based on the number of billable retail customer ports in service as tracked by the research group.
“Despite its relative maturity, the Ethernet market continues to expand at a healthy pace. U.S. port installations grew more than twelve percent in 2018, in line with our forecasts,” said Rick Malone, principal of Vertical Systems Group. “However, revenue growth is not keeping pace with port growth due to falling prices and changing service mixes. One notable catalyst is the deployment of SD-WAN, which is resulting in customers shifting from switched Ethernet services to dedicated Internet access.”
Highlights of Vertical’s year-end 2018 U.S. Ethernet market share analysis:
- U.S. retail Ethernet customer installations grew to more than 1.1 million ports, up 12 percent from year-end 2017.
- Six Ethernet providers qualify for the 2018 LEADERBOARD, as compared to seven in 2017 and nine in 2016.
- Cox dropped out of the LEADERBOARD and into the Challenge Tier on slower than market port growth.
- Four Incumbent Carriers (CenturyLink, AT&T, Verizon, Windstream) and two Cable MSOs (Spectrum Enterprise, Comcast) are represented on the latest LEADERBOARD.
- The two Cable MSOs (Spectrum Enterprise and Comcast) had the highest port growth in the second half of 2018.
- Ethernet pricing declined in 2018 across all port speeds for the six service types tracked by Vertical (i.e., EPL, EVPL, DIA, Access to VPN, Switched Metro and VPLS).
- Each of the 2018 U.S. LEADERBOARD companies has received MEF CE 2.0 certification.
Read the full announcement here.
Want more details? Ethernet share results that power the Year-End 2018 Carrier Ethernet LEADERBOARD are available now exclusively through Vertical Systems Group’s ENS Research Program subscribers. Contact VSG for subscription information and pricing.