Technology has always been essential to the economic growth of New York City, not only because technology brings new capital investments and jobs. But because any metropolis needs to evolve in the way it protects its citizens, provides services, stewards the environment, and tends to its social and industrial fabric.
Today, it is disruptive digital technology and the exponential growth of data that are poised to transform every aspect of New York City’s economy, communications, government, and lives of its inhabitants. And it is difficult to conceive of anything more disruptive than the adoption of smart city systems and applications.
That’s the introduction to Hellman Electric’s new eBook, titled “Big Apple, Smart City: How New York is Fast Becoming the Greatest Smart City in the World.”
This free eBook dives in to:
- What defines a smart city
- Related technologies, including 5G, small cells, the edge and the cloud
- Where NYC stands on its path to smart city transformation
- The benefits and drawbacks of NYC’s fiber infrastructure as related to smart city initiatives
- NYC’s use of smart traffic and smart water meters
- NYC’s COSMOS network